FOLLOW US

Saturday 16 December 2017

Fela didn't die of AIDS: Wives open up

Last weekend, all roads led to Terra Culture, Victoria Island, Lagos, for the screening of a new musical on late afro beat legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, entitled ‘Fela and The Kalakuta Queens’, a musical written, produced and directed by Bolanle Austen-Peters of Terra Culture.

 Indeed it was a gathering of the crème de la crème of the industry as captains of industry, politicians, high networking individuals and thespians graced the red carpet. And of course, also in the house were two of Fela’s wives, Bolanle Babayale and Omolara.



The pair opened up to Entertainer on life with the late afro beat maestro, narrating their lives and times with him.

Fela did not die of HIV –Laide Babayale


What would you say was your happiest moment with Fela?

Every time with him was exciting. Fela was a nice person to be with. You just loved him. Fela is from a wealthy background and I am also from a wealthy background but I fell in love with him because Fela was fighting for others, yet today, people are still suffering. See what is happening to our people; there is so much poverty. A lot of people cannot afford three square meals. Our children are running away from the country everyday to go and meet their untimely deaths. It is so sad.

Twenty years after, are we doing enough to honour the man, Fela and the women who stood by him?

It is only Bolanle Austin Peters that is doing anything to honour him and his wives. Apart from her, there is no other person doing that. It is only the children that are doing Felabration and they are just doing it for their own pocket; it is not for us. Bolanle is honouring Fela today because she knows and appreciates what Fela stood for. I don’t know how old she was when Fela was alive, but she is still celebrating Fela after 20 years, a time when everybody has forgotten about us. When Bolanle called me and said she wanted to celebrate us, I was like ‘why, who are we?’ May God bless her soul for remembering the women that stood and fought with Fela? Since Fela died we have been completely forgotten. Bolanle really gave us honour.

How did you feel when Fela died in 1997?

I was at work that day and the news was a big shock to me. Because too many people were coming to Kalakuta then, the place became overcrowded so I had to go back to my parents’ house. It was from there that I started working as a working class woman. When he was sick I went to see him with the late Olikoye Ransome Kuti, Aunty Dolu and late Sola was also there. It was about two weeks after that he died. He always advised us to work hard. He never tolerated docile people and he always paid us well. When I saw him I knew he was going to die. I cried as I left his room that day. I cried because I never expected to see him in the condition that I saw him.

How did you meet Fela and how did you end up one of his Queens?


That was while I was in secondary school. My house was opposite the Shrine at Surulere Night Club. That was how I met him and became his dancer. I started with Fela as a girlfriend before he eventually married me.

You mean Fela asked you out?


No, he just saw me and said he liked me and I also liked him; it was a mutual feeling.

Here was the big artiste, Fela, and there you were a young girl in school. Were you not intimidated by his status?


I felt that way, but that was what I wanted; that was what I was looking for. I am a music lover. I was in love with Fela. It was the music that attracted me to him.

How did your parents take it that their daughter was in love with Fela?


They did not take it lightly at all. What we saw on stage today is exactly what happened, because I was taken out of Fela’s house more than 10 times and I always went back. There was no time I stayed away (laughter).

Did they ever come to terms with the fact that their daughter was head over heels for Fela?


They did not. Up till today they have not accepted it.

In 1977 he married 27 of you. What could have led to that?

Fela loved us and was not happy with

Twitter

Share:

like our FACEBOOK PAGE and follow us on TWITTER thanks

FOR ADVERT PLACEMENT CLICK HERE

THERE IS LOVE IN SHARING DON'T READ THIS ALONE SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS

EARLIER NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED

PLEASE SHARE AND COMMENT ON THIS POST

Don't forget to comment on this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We would love you to comment on this post

Search This Blog

ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS HERE

 

don't forget to comment on this post